Mr. Paul Hollingdale

Talking in his London studio to Colin Nichol (Colin Nicol) in February 1984.

Edited transcript of a recorded interview

Paul Hollingdale: In 1959 I was working for the British Forces Broadcasting Service, it was then known as the British Forces Network, and at that time I had been given a stroke of luck in the sense that within six months of joining the organisation I had the opportunity of presenting Two Way Family Favourites from the Cologne end. That programme was one of the most important radio shows going out at that period and was for more than two decades, in the sense that it very much appealed not only to the audience but also to the recording business because it had audiences of something like 12 or 15 million people a week. So it was my intention not to stay with BFN as it was then known for very long, because I wanted to return to England to continue my career and as I had now been given a programme where I could actually, you know, present my talents it came into focus as far as the BBC were concerned.


But before that, when I decided to return to England, the BBC had to wait, or I had to wait for them, and I got the opportunity of working for Radio Luxembourg for the very first time and during the winter of 1960 and '61 I presented a programme on Radio Luxembourg called The Six O'clock Record Show which was sponsored by Phillips (Record Company). That gave me a certain amount of money, very low by today's standards, to be able to come back and live in London.

What happened during that period was, there was a Canadian-born disc-jockey, Doug Stanley, who I had met whilst I was serving with the British Forces in Germany and he was just ending his period of operation there and he was looking for other things to do. He came back to England and got involved with a company called Mitchell Monkhouse Associates run by Malcolm Mitchell who was running a trio that was very well known and Bob Monkhouse who of course needs no introduction. And they were producing shows for Radio Luxembourg which were sponsored by Cadburys Chocolates and people like that and Bob Monkhouse was fronting this programme. Doug Stanley was one of the producers.


But his interests had wandered to Holland where three Dutch brothers, the Verweij brothers, Dirk, Jaap and the third brother who’s name was Hendrik, known as Bull. Now, they had set up a pirate ship in 1959 for the station Radio Veronica. They had made a lot of money in post-war-years by running a sort of stocking factory which was, of all places, centred in Hilversum, which as you know is very much part of the Dutch radio and television area.

They got in on some transactions in flogging nylon stockings and all that sort of thing and had made quite a lot of money and by 1959 they were running this stocking factory. But out of this particular area they decided to start this pirate ship. They got together a few business people but they mostly controlled the shares and together with an engineer they set up this ship. The ship was the Borkum Riff and it was run by an extraordinary Dutch sea captain. In fact they weren't the forerunners of the pirate radio because there had, as you know, been some other piratical situation going on off the coast of Scandinavia in Denmark and Sweden where some other load of entrepreneurs had got going with a boat. But the idea had ventured south and they had got this ship going and they were broadcasting in Dutch during the day and they were very successful and they got a lot of advertising. The studios were very makeshift, they were all done with egg boxes and things like that but it was enough to get it going and they had a team of young enthusiastic people.

CN: Weren't they taping on land?

PH: They were taping on land, they used to take the tapes to the coast of Holland, in Scheveningen near the Hague and then they used to take these tapes out by tender to the boat and that used to happen about once a week, so everything was taped on land.

Our involvement as far as we were concerned was that Doug Stanley put it to the Verweij brothers. How Doug came to know the Verweij brothers was that at the time he'd got a job at Radio Nederland, the world service of Dutch radio, and he'd gone from BFN to Holland and that's how he happened to know about the Dutch situation. He left Radio Nederland and went in with the Verweij brothers.

He came to see me and he said, “We are going to do this thing but we are going to have to do some test transmissions”. So a company was set up called CNBC, the Commercial Neutral Broadcasting Company, and the byline of it was, “Your friendly host off the Dutch coast”. That was how it was going to be known. It was decided to open some offices in the then newly-built Royalty House which is not too far from I'm speaking, in Dean Street, and we took two rather smart offices from whence we were going to run the English operation.

For the first few months of 1961 we started to tape programmes; we went across to Holland and we were broadcasting test transmissions which were, being picked up in England. There were three of us: myself, Doug Stanley and a Canadian, John Michael, and the three of us recorded these endless tapes of pop music and so on and they used to be broadcast during the daytime with the Dutch taking over either at lunchtime or something of that nature.

We carried this on for the first three months and we were often visited by any one of the Verweij brothers and this station engineer who turned out to be a rogue because he was ripping them off left right and centre with money and all this that and the other. He was a young engineer who was two-timing his wife, who lived in the Hague, he'd got a lady over here who was pregnant, who was working in our office as a secretary - we didn't know anything about this whatsoever, it was kept extremely quiet until it was all revealed - and there was a lot skulduggery going on which of course, would be very amusing now when you look back on what the word pirate means and they certainly lived up to all of that.


CN: Were there other incidents that were..?

PH: Well, there were certain incidents going on over the other side which, you know, about bits of equipment that suddenly went missing and all this, that and the other and it's my opinion that this engineer was taking the brothers Verweij for a few thousand guilders, that is basically what I think.

CN: Was anybody involved in that with him?

PH: No-one, it was a single handed effort because he controlled what was bought and sold in the way of equipment. But we didn't know anything about this because we were young, naive and in fact from our point of view we were very excited about the prospect of breaking the BBC monopoly, even in those days, and the whole thing.

So, we went on for a few months and then during the proceedings we got a telephone call one day from the house of parliament and it was then Edward Heath, who was later to become Prime Minister, rang up and he was employed in the government at. that time as the Lord Privy Seal. Now his department wanted to know just how far this pirate radio was going to operate. Was it going to come closer to London, or was the ship going to remain where it was. But certainly the Home Office was becoming very interested in the activities because they suddenly realised that on the horizon not too far away was an alternative form of radio from the then monopolistic BBC. We told him that we had no intentions at that time to bring the ship across because it was Dutch-owned and they wanted Dutch radio but at certain times of the day they thought the market could open up for the English situation.


During the time we were in the office, we were visited by a man called Allan Crawford who at that time was a music publisher and director of a company called Merit Music who operated from Manette Street just near Foyles book shop and he had quite a number of successes in the charts and including the Wheels Cha Cha, I am sure a lot of people will remember that.


So he was not doing too badly as a music publisher, he was from Australia and he was also very entrepreneurial and he could see that with CNBC, as modest as it was, there was no doubt about it that pirate radio was going to be successful and effective, and he tried to come in with us in various ventures, and we would have had him in because he was quite bright and understood the whole set-up. But he decided to break away. Well, he broke away mainly because CNBC could not be effectively run with the ship on the other side of the North Sea, and so he decided to set up Radio Atlanta.

CN: So he was offered financial participation in CNBC?

PH: He was offered the opportunity – but because CNBC, we, were having a lot of problems with the Dutch, they didn't understand what we wanted to do, and they wanted to contain it for themselves. Of course, we were to learn later that Radio Veronica was peopled also on the board of directors by one or two people from the Dutch parliament and that's why they were able to operate for so long – because other people had vested interests. I mean, the thing came to an end eventually, but a lot of things were sorted out before Radio Veronica finally ended up.

CN: They went ashore and became legal.

PH: Well, they did, that's what I'm saying. It became legal because of the people that were on the board of directors and one of the brothers died – Dirk Verweij was the elder brother and he died – and so on. And Bull Verweij, who was the middle brother, actually went to prison himself for one or two bits and pieces that went on over there – I've no idea – so, you know, they knew that they were sailing close to the wind, if you'll excuse the expression.

But Radio Atlanta was really Allan Crawford's brainchild. And at that time - and we're going back now, we're talking about the early '60s, Ronan O'Rahilly had appeared on the scene and you probably know that his father was a leading Irish businessman; they actually, I believe, owned a port over there where they could actually kit out what was to become Radio Caroline.

CN: At this stage Ronan was involved in the Scene Club in Soho, is that so?

PH: Ronan O'Rahilly - I don't know exactly what – I mean, Ronan O'Rahilly was a face, was one of these characters that would stand out in a crowd, and you got to know him, but nobody - he was very, very quiet on what he was doing. I mean as soon as CNBC was almost fading out of the picture both he and Allan Crawford were arranging things, independently of course from each other, about what the next move was going to be. And Ronan O'Rahilly as I say because of his interest in this southern Irish port - his family's interest – was able to get hold of a boat and kit it all out in Southern Ireland, whereas I believe Radio Atlanta had to be kitted in a Spanish port or somewhere else further down, I don't know the exact history of it, and as it was later to become, Caroline was the first that was going to sail around the sea and get there before Radio Atlanta. There is a strange sense of irony actually because a few years later I was to work for Radio Luxembourg, and, in 1965 and I can remember it so well, I was coming back to England to join the BBC and I went to Holland, to Amsterdam for an Easter break and I can remember in my hotel, because we'd been told about it beforehand, switching on in Easter 1964 and listening to the very first words that Simon Dee ever said on Radio Caroline. And we actually - and when I heard this, I was with Don Wardell (Head of Radio Luxembourg English Service) at the time and I said this is going to be the biggest thing out, this, you could see it. And we saw it, too. I mean we, even in the Sixties, in 1960 – '61 we knew that this thing was going to be very, very exciting.


And I am pleased in a way even for the short time we were on the air to have pioneered the idea and we were the originators of the idea. I mean Ronan O'Rahilly came along later and so did Allan Crawford but we were the people that actually put it on the air and put the thoughts into their heads.

CN: Well there were the Verweij brothers, in association with yourself and with Doug Stanley - obviously the idea, though, had been around before, even with the Radio Veronica concept. Where did they pick up their ideas from?

PH: As I say, the first people that actually got a ship going, and it's already chronicled in a lot of books, was the business off the coast of Scandinavia, in Denmark and Sweden, Radio Mercur. And they were the first people that got the idea of broadcasting off the coast. I mean, the point was, that off the Scandinavian coast, there was no doubt about it, that because of the weakness of the government in terms of the media, they obviously decided that there was a thing for that, but the Dutch people got in very quickly afterwards in 1959 with Radio Veronica.

I think that most books will tell you that Mercur and Sud (Syd, off Sweden) were the first, certainly in the European area, to do this and I don't know of any other set-up. You see, if you look at radio in the post-war period, as it got going in Europe - Germany, France, Holland and so on – it was quite obvious that the monopoly was going to exist for quite a number of years. That nobody had ever thought about commercial radio, other than Radio Luxembourg, which had been going since the Thirties and they had a bit of trouble after the war, going – they got some support from the post-war government, Churchill was very keen on the idea of Radio Luxembourg, but I think he had other areas in mind for that.

CN: Such as?

PH: Well Churchill realised the important of Radio Luxembourg because of its transmitter, because it had been used by the Germans during the war – Lord Haw Haw and all that sort of thing – and he wanted to reverse the procedure because he thought that broadcasting propaganda into Europe, particularly behind the Eastern Bloc, that those transmitters that they had were very powerful. But when he was out of office and the Labour government got in they were told, Luxembourg, that they would not have the support of England and they would have to get on with it themselves, and they did, as a commercial entity.

I think people were frustrated generally, in radio. As far as England was concerned I think most people just accepted the fact that the BBC was a reality, Radio Luxembourg was the foreign infiltrator and nobody really worried too much about the radio and I think you also have to take into consideration that in 1955 most minds in Britain were preoccupied by the then up-and-coming independent television service and so therefore it was a diverse thing and they moved across to television.


And so those five years from 1955 to '60, which I suppose we could have been one of the first in on pirate radio, they were not interested, there were (television) stations opening up all over the place and radio was allowed to drone on in the background you know unimpeded because nobody cared too much. But it was only the Scandinavians - I think the Scandinavians were definitely the first people to see the advantage of having these stations and they did a very good job. But they were short-lived, weren't they – they didn't last all that long.

CN: Let's go back to how you became a pioneer of pirate radio.

PH: I had presented the Six O'clock Records Show for the Phillips (Record) Company (on Radio Luxembourg) from September 1960 through till the following spring in in1961.

CN: It was taped here? (In London)

PH: Yes, it was taped here. And during that time I'd re-established my contact with Doug Stanley, and when it became known - I'll tell you this - you only have to look back at the newspapers of the day - we had national coverage like you'd never believe, because of this pirate thing (CNBC) , the papers went berserk.

CN: What year was this?

PH: 1961. What happened really basically was that I was then blacklisted by Radio Luxembourg, Geoffrey Everett said that I would never work for the station again. Now Radio Luxembourg was hardly in a position to do that sort of thing seeing as they were unofficially broadcasting to England, but they were more legitimate that we would ever have been. And as for the BBC, well, up in the Gramophone Department, my name was mud. And in fact I have to tell you the circumstances as to how I got back into favour again.

After the pirates, after I'd finished with CNBC, I went to see Frankie Vaughan whose agent I knew and managed to get a job one night with Brian Matthew compeering a big concert at the Royal Festival Hall in aid of the National Association of Boys Clubs for which Frankie Vaughan has an interest. And at that night, which was a gala night, it was the first time I'd ever done anything like this before, there was Lew Grade, Richard Attenborough and a whole load of people, you know the luminaries of that time and Eric Maswich who was then Head of Light Entertainment at BBC television and after I had done this concert I went to see Eric Maswich and said to him you may remember I was the Disc Jockey presenter of this particular concert for the National Association of Boys Clubs, what is the possibility of me going on Jukebox Jury. I refrained completely from saying that I'd ever had anything to do with pirate radio and I don't think he was a person who was particularly interested in that anyway and I always remember because he got Bill Cotton Jr, who was later to become very famous in the BBC as a Controller, at this time he was working as the producer of Jukebox Jury, and Eric said to Bill, look I want Paul Hollingdale to do this programme, and that was the turning point.


CN: So you became respectable.

PH: I became respectable through one programme.

CN: Stories I would love, and anecdotes. And also, any kind of skulduggery and nonsense on the ships..

PH: I'll tell you a wonderful story. When we were with CNBC, as you might imagine on board the Borkum Riff, with the storms and gales and things like that, there was trouble technically because they hadn't mastered the idea of sticking the dirty great mast up on the – I mean, sticking up a pole on a ship and making it remain still for very long. So inevitably there was a big technical problem. Well if we hark back to the idea of the engineer ripping them off left, right and centre as far as equipment is concerned there was no point in asking him to do anything. So we heard of a BBC senior engineer, a man called Thomas, a Welshman ..

CN: What was his first name?

PH: I can't remember, but he actually was the head of the Tatsfield Listening Post. Now, I don't know whether you know what that is but basically it's a listening post with the BBC, they have several in this country, where they can pick up foreign language broadcasts and interpret the news and use it for their own situation. We'd heard that this man was coming up for retirement and I don't know how he came about it but anyway he came up to see us and we said look this transmitter needs sorting out and you're the man that knows all about these things and of course it was the height of cheek to ask a BBC senior engineer to go out to a pirate ship. Well, he said, “Well, I'll go and do the thing,” and we arranged the money.

So he flew to Holland and unfortunately for him as we sent the tender out from the Dutch coast in the direction of the Borkum Riff, a gale like you'd never believe blew up, and it was horrendous. And this guy got on board this ship. Well he came back to England, he was distraught, the man said, “Never again will I go on board a bloody ship.” But I always remember him because to me that was what piracy is all about - getting extraordinary people. If the BBC had known that we'd taken their senior engineer out to fix this transmitter, I would have been in more trouble, but it was “those were the days” and we thought, well this is a hoot, let's go and do it.

CN: Did you hear any of the stories that came up during the saga of the pirate ships, during the years of Caroline and London. Did you come across direct contact with any of these?

PH: I never had much to do with Caroline although I did apply for a job on Radio England which was another ship that was running at that time..

Colin Nichol (Archive Colin Nichol)

CN: Yes, I was involved in the early stages of that ..

PH: .. and I went and did some bits and pieces for them. And er, but by that time you see – by1965/66, I'd gone legitimate and joined the BBC, so there we are. But I have to say this also that again, if it hadn't been for the pirate ships I doubt if I'd have made much progress at the BBC because at that time it was very much a closed shop and you either knew people or you didn't and that was it.

My greatest regret is that we did not achieve what we set out to do, because if you can look at the passage of time, 1961 was when CNBC operated, 1964 is when Radio Caroline started, followed by the others. And, if you look at the political implications at that time, the conservative government were in power, very much in 1961, '62, '63 – '64, and in fact the mood was right and if they had seen the possibilities and I am sure that they were beginning to realise that commercial radio could have become a reality, ILR (Independent Local Radio) as we know it today would have been brought it in the 60's and not in the 70's.

It would have brought the whole thing forward by a decade, because, I mean Wilson (Labour Prime Minister Harold Wilson) was forced to close the pirates down in the late 60's - '67, whenever it was it finished - and employ a large chunk of the people direct from the pirate ships in order to ensure continuity, so that, what he thought, the British public would not notice much difference between what was going out on sea and on land and in many ways in 1967 / 8 / 9, up until about 1970 while the BBC sorted itself out, many of the people were actually employed in one form or another on Radio One. But again as I said going back to the pre-period of that I had really had hoped that in 1962 we would have got the thing off the ground.

Another thing that's quite interesting - can you imagine that if we had gone one more year we were then into Beatle mania, the Liverpool Sound and all of that, a commercial radio station at that period would have been able to have capitalised on the new Swinging Sixties, image that was to emerge during the next four or five years.

CN: That you'd have anticipated by a year or two.

PH: We'd anticipated the thing, and I wish we'd have carried it off.

Copyright Colin Nichol 2007-04-05


Colin Nichol in gesprek met Paul Hollingdale

PH: In 1959 werkte ik voor de British Forces Broadcasting Service, wat toen bekend stond als de British Forces Network, en ik had meteen het geluk dat ik binnen zes maanden na aanvang bij het station de mogelijkheid kreeg om het programma ‘Two Way Family Favourites’ te mogen presenteren vanuit Keulen. Dat programma was een van de belangrijkste radioprogramma’s dat werd uitgezonden. Het was twee decennia een erg populair programma en had tussen de 12 en 15 miljoen luisteraars per week Het was bekend dat ik iet bij BFN wilde blijven maar terug wilde naar Engeland om daar mijn carriere voort te zetten. Ik wilde graag een programma doen waarin ik mijn talent kon gebruiken en hoopte op de BBC. Maar de BBC moest nog even wacht, of ik moest wachten op de BBC want ik kreeg de mogelijkheid om voor Radio Luxembourg te gaan werken tijdens de winter van 1960 en 1961. Ik presenteerde een programma op Radio Luxembourg genaamd ‘The Six O’clock Record Show’ die werd gesponsord door de platenafdeling van Philips. Ik had in elk geval een inkomen. Het was niet veel, zeker als je het afzet tegen de lonen van vandaag maar ik kon er mee terug naar Londen. Doug Stanley, een Canadese disc-jockey met wie ik samen had gewerkt bij British Forces in Duitsland, verliet het station en kwam naar Engeland waar hij betrokken raakte bij een bedrijf genaamd Mitchell Monkhouse Associates. Het bedrijf werd gerund door Malcolm Mitchell. Zij produceerden programma’s voor Radio Luxembourg die werden gesponsord door Cadburys Chocolates. Doug werd daar producer. Echter, hij was heel erg geďnteresseerd in hetgeen in Nederland gaande was. Daar had je drie broers, de Verweij broers, Dirk, Jaap en de derde heet Hendrik, bijgenaamd Bull. Zijn naam zal ik proberen te onthouden. Zij hadden in 1959 een schip, Borkum Riff genaamd, als zendschip uitgerust. De naam van het station was Radio Veronica en de broers maakten veel geld met een soort zwarte markt voor kousen die werden gefabriceerd in Hilversum, dat zoals je weet het centrum van de Nederlandse radio en televisie is.

CN: Zwarte markt zeg je?

PH: Nou ja, ze zaten gewoon goed in die handel, nylon kousen en dat soort dingen. Daar hadden ze behoorlijk wat geld mee verdiend. Overigens werd het in 1959 legitiem om die fabriek te runnen. Zij besloten een piratenschip te beginnen. Zij verzamelden een aantal zakenlui om zich heen maar hielden zelf de vinger aan de pols. Samen met technicus Luuk Nijhof hebben zij het schip uitgerust. Dat schip was de Borkum Riff en er zat een opmerkelijke kapitein aan boord. Ze waren niet de eersten want er was al een eerdere situatie met zendschepen voor de kust van Denemarken en Zweden. Het idee werd ook in het zuiden opgepikt en ze hadden dus dit schip en zonden uit in de Nederlandse taal. Ze waren erg succesvol en hadden veel adverteerders. De studio’s stelden niet veel voor. De muren waren beplakt met eierdozen. Het was echter genoeg om de boel aan het draaien te krijgen en ze hadden een jong, enhousiast team.

CN: Werden de programma’s niet aan land opgenomen?

PH: Jawel, er werd aan land opgenomen en die tapes warden vervolgens naar Scheveningen gebracht waar tender ze naar het zendschip bracht. Dit gebeurde eens per week. Doug Stanley kreeg contact met de Verweij broers. Ik denk dat ik verkeerd zit met zijn werk voor Mitchell Monkhouse. Dat was volgens mij later, in 1962/1963. Doug Stanley leerde de Verweij broers kennen toen hij voor Radio Nederland, de Wereldomroep, werkte nadat hij bij BFN was weggegaan. Zodoende was hij op de hoogte van de situatie in Nederland. Hij is toen weggegaan bij Radio Nederland en heeft zich bij de Verweij broers aangesloten. Hij kwam mij opzoeken en vertelde wat ze van plan waren en dat er testuitzendingen zouden moeten komen. Er werd een maatschappij opgericht onder de naam CNBC wat stond voor Commercial Neutral Broadcasting Company. De gebruikte slogan werd: ‘Your fiendly host of the Dutch coast’. Er werd besloten een kantoor te openen in het toen nieuw gebouwde Royalty House in Londen niet ver van Dean Street. Twee kleine kantoortjes van waaruit we de Engelse operatie zouden gaan leiden. De eerste maanden van 1961 begonnen met het opnemen van de programma’s. We gingen weer naar Nederland en deden testuitzendingen die ook in Engeland werden gehoord. We waren met z’n drietjes. Ikzelf, Doug Stanley en een Canadees met de naam John Michael. We namen eindeloos programma’s op die op de dag zouden moeten worden uitgezonden waarna de Nederlanders het rond de lunch zouden overnemen. Iets in die trant in elk geval. We deden dit de eesrte drie maanden en kregen regelmatig bezoek van de Verweij broers samen met technicus Luuk Nijhof. Luuk nam de boel trouwens behoorlijk in de maling en heeft zich op deze manier aardig verrijkt. Hij was een jonge technicus die zijn vrouw aardig in de maling nam. Zij woonde in Den Haag. In Londen had hij een vrouw zwanger gemaakt. Zij werkte als secretaresse in ons kantoor. Op zich wel leuk dat het idee piraat te zijn zo letterlijk werd genomen.

CN: Waren er meer incidenten..?

PH: Er waren wel wat vervelende dingen zoals material wat ineens weg was. Ik verdenk Luuk Nijhof ervan de Verweij broers een paar duizend gulden lichter te hebben gemaakt.

CN: Waren er naast hem nog andere mensen bij betrokken?

PH: Niemand. Luuk kon dat ook makkelijk alleen doen want hij kocht het materiaal zelf in. Wij wisten hier toen niets vanaf. We waren jong en naďef en erg opgewonden van het feit dat we de monopolie positie van de BBC zouden doorbreken. Zo gingen we een paar maanden door en tijdens deze voorbereidingen warden we gebeld door iemand van ‘the house of parliament’. Het was Edward Heath. De man zou later premier worden. Zijn department wilde wat bijzonderheden weten over ons project. Hij wilde weten of het zendschip zou worden verplaatst richting Engeland. Het was duidelijk dat de ‘Home Office’ bijzonder geďnteresseerd raakte in de activiteiten nu er aan de horizon plotseling een alternatief opdook voor de BBC en daarmee haar monopolie positie in gevaar kon brengen. We hebben hem verteld dat het niet de bedoeling was om het schip richting Engeland te verslepen aangezien het Nederlands eigendom was en dat de organisatie Nederlandse radio wilde maken maar het idee had dat er ook een mogelijkheid was op de Engelse markt te komen. Tijdens ons verblijf op het kantoor werden we bezocht door aan man genaamd Allan Crawford. Hij gaf muziek uit en hij was directeur van Merit Music dat was gevestigd in Manette Street naast de Foyles boekenwinkel. Hij had behoorlijk succes gekend. Wheels Cha Cha. Ik weet zeker dat veel mensen zich dat nummer herinneren. Net als Umbrellas of Cherbourg Theme. Hij kwam uit Australië en deed het dus niet slecht als muziekuitgever. Hij was slim genoeg om te begrijpen dat CNBC, hoe klein het nog was, succesvol zou kunnen zijn. Hij wilde wel meedoen en dat vonden wij prima want hij was intelligent en wist precies waar het over ging. Maar toen trok hij zich toch terug, hoofdzakelijk omdat CNBC een zendschip dat aan de andere kanr van de Noordzee lag, nooit effectief zou kunnen runnen. Hij besloot toen Radio Atlanta op te zetten.

CN: Dus hij werd gevraagd om financieel mee te doen met CNBC?

PH: We hebben hem die mogelijkheid geboden. We hadden veel problemen met de Nederlanders. Zij zijn erg flegmatiek en begrepen absoluut niet wat wij wilden. Zij wilden het project gewoon voor zichzelf houden. Later begrepen we dat Radio Veronica via een aantal mensen steun kreeg vanuit het parlement. Hierdoor hebben ze het ook zo lang vol kunnen houden.

CN: Daarna kwamen zij aan land en werden legaal.

PH: Ja, dat bedoel ik. Dirk Verweij was overleden. Bull Verweij was de middelste van de drie en hij ging de gevangenis is voor wat akkefietjes. Ik weet niet welke. Ze zaten in zwaar weer. Maar Radio Atlanta was echt het geesteskind van Allan Crawford. Op dat moment, en dan gaan we terug naar het begin van de zestiger jaren, was Ronan O’Rahilly ook op het toneel verschenen en je weet waarschijnlijk wel dat zijn vader een groot zakenman was. Ik geloof dat zij zelfs eigenaar waren van een haven. Makkelijk dus om een schip uit te rusten wat later Radio Caroline werd.

CN: Op dat moment was Ronan toch betrokken bij de Scene Club in Soho?

PH: Ronan O’Rahilly was het gezicht. Iemand die in de belangstelling staat. Maar hij vertelde maar weinig over de dingen waar hij mee bezig was. Op het moment dat CNBC zo’n beetje het loodje legde waren hij en Allan Crawford al met allerlei dingen bezig. Onafhankelijk van elkaar natuurlijk. Ronan O’Rahilly was dus in het voordeel want hij kon zijn schip in zijn eigen haven uitrusten terwijl Radio Atlanta dat, geloof ik, in Spanje of nog verder weg moest doen. De exacte geschiedenis ken ik niet. Caroline was de eerste die uitvoer. Ironisch genoeg was het toen ik voor Radio Luxembourg werkte en met Pasen 1964 een weekendje naar Amsterdam ging, ik daarop de radio de eerste woorden hoorde die Simon Dee tot de luisteraars sprak.

CN: Welke dag was dat? Weet je dat nog?

PH: Dat was, weet ik veel, Pasen april 1964.

CN: Welke paasdag?

PH: Dat zal de zondag wel zijn gewesst. Of de zaterdag. Precies weet ik het ook niet meer.

CN: Iedereen noemt een andere dag. Daarom vraag ik het.

PH: Het was een weekend. Ik hoorde het en zei tegen Don Wardell, hoofd van de Engelse service van Radio Luxembourg, dat dit iets groots zou gaan worden. Dat is ook uitgekomen. Toen al voelden we dat het iets heel enerverends zou worden. Op een bepaalde manier ben ik toch trots dat wij, al was het maar van korte duur, de pioniers waren. Ronan O’Rahilly kwam net als Allan Crawford, later. Wij zijn de mensen die hun op het idee hebben gebracht.

CN: Je had dus de broers Verweij van Radio Veronica in combinatie met jou en Doug Stanley maar het concept was er blijkbaar al. Waar hadden zij dat opgepikt.

PH: Zoals ik al eerder vertelde, de eerste mensen die een zendschip uitrusten en op zee brachten kwamen uit Scandinavie, Denemarken en Zweden. Dat was Radio Mercur. Dat staat al diverse boeken beschreven.

CN: Kun jij de volgorde uitleggen ?

PH: Ja, het was eerst Radio Mercur en daarna Radio Veronica.

CN: En Radio Syd dan?

PH: Of Radio Syd voor of na Radio Mercur kwam weet ik ook niet meer..

CN: Ik denk tussen Mercur en Veronica.

PH: De zwarte van de regeringen ten aanzien van dit nieuwe fenomeen zorgde er voor dat zoiets in Scandinavie kon ontstaan. Radio Veronica volgde kort daarop in 1959.

CN: Kunnen we nog verder terug dan Radio Mercur? Waar komt het idee vandaan om een zender op een schip te zetten en commercieel uit te gaan zenden. Is dat eerder gedaan in de oorlog? Heeft de CIA het wel eens gedaan? Of de Voice of America?

PH: Ik weet niet of er voor de Scandinaviers al eerder op deze manier is uitgezonden. Ik denk dat zij na de oorlog echt de eersten waren.

CN: Iemand moet met het idee zijn gekomen.

PH: Er is natuurlijk altijd iemand het eerste en ik denk dat in de boeken Mercur en Syd als eersten zullen worden aangemerkt. Zeker in Europa. Van eerdere projecten weet ik niets maar ik kan mij voorstellen dat het in de oorlog gebeurd zou kunnen zijn voor het verzorgen van propaganda uitzendingen. Maar daar weet ik verder niets van af. Als je kijkt na de na-oorlogse radio in bijvoorbeeld Duitsland, Nederland, Frankrijk enz. dan is het duidelijk dat de monopolie positie van de staatsradio’s voor jaren was gewaarborgd. Niemand was ooit op het idee van commerciële radio gekomen. Alleen Radio Luxemburg dat al vanaf de dertiger jaren bezig was en alleen vlak na de oorlog wat problemen heeft gekend, maar ze kregen toen steun van de regering. Churchill zag het ook wel zitten hoewel hij aan iets heel anders dacht.

CN: Zoals?

PH: Churchill begreep het belang van Radio Luxembourg. De zender was in de oorlog door de Duitsers gebruikt –Lord Haw Haw en dat soort dingen- en hij wilde dat omdraaien. Met sterke zenders propaganda over Europa verspreiden, vooral in de landen achter het IJzeren Gordijn. Maar toen Churchill van het politieke slagveld was verdwenen kreeg Radio Luxembourg te horen niet meer op steun te hoeven rekenen. Zij moesten het op eigen kracht zien te redden en dat lukte op commerciële basis. Ik denk dat er wat frustratie’s over de radio in het algemeen. In Engeland was de BBC geaccepteerd en werd Radio Luxemburg als indringer beschouwd. Niemand maakte zich echt druk over radio. We moeten ook niet vergeten dat in 1955 de opkomst van de onafhankelijk televisie een feit werd en dit hield ook veel mensen bezig.De vijf jaren tussen 1955 en 1960 kenmerkten zich door het openen van verschillende televisiestations waar alle aandacht naar toe ging. De aandacht voor radio werd naar de achtergrond verdrongen en hierdoor kon vrije radio ontstaan. De Scandinaviers zagen als eerste de voordelen van dit soort stations en ze deden dat dan ook erg goed. Helaas waren die stations geen lang leven beschoren.

CN: Radio Caroline overleefde ze allemaal.

PH: Ja, dat deed Radio Caroline inderdaad.

CN: Hoe ben jij een pionier van de vrije radio geworden?

PH: Ik presenteerde de ‘Six O'clock Records Show’ voor de Phillips platenmaatschappij op Radio Luxembourg. Dat deed ik van september 1960 tot het voorjaar van 1961.

CN: Die programma’s werden in Londen opgenomen?

PH: Ja, die warden inderdaad in Londen opgenomen. Tijdens die periode kreeg ik weer contact met Doug Stanley en ontstond CNBC en toen dat bekend werd, sla de kranten er maar op na, werd het in alle kranten vermeld.

CN: Welk jaar was dat?

PH: 1961. Wat er in werklijkheid gebeurde was dat ik op de zwarte lijst van Radio Luxembourg kwam te staan. Geoffrey Everett verklaarde dat ik nooit meer voor het station mocht werken. Nu was Radio Luxembourg helemaal niet in de positie om zo iets te doen want ze zonden zelf illegaal richting Engeland. Ook bij de BBC zag men mij liever gaan dan komen. Mijn naam was besmet. Het is dan ook een heel erg interessant verhaal hoe de relatie weer goed werd. Na de vrije radio, nadat ik dus bij CNBC weg was gegaan, zocht ik Frankie Vaughan op. Ik kende zijn impresario en het lukte mij om een baan te krijgen. Samen met Brian Matthew presenteerde ik in de Royal Festival Hall een gala ten behoeve van de National Association of Boys Clubs. Franky was hierin geďnteresseerd. Het was de eerste keer dat ik zo iets deed Lew Grade was er net als Richard Attenborough en een heleboel andere bekende mensen. Ik ontmoette Eric Maswich die toen hoofd was van de afdeling Light Entertainment van BBC Televisie. Na het evenement zocht ik hem op. Ik vroeg hem of het voor mij mogelijk was om de Jukebox Jury te doen. Ik vertelde niets over mijn verleden als medewerker van CNBC. Hij was trouwens een man die daar toch niet in geintresseerd was. Bill Cotton jr., die later een zeer gerespecteerde medewerker van de BBC werd, was producer van het programma en hij kreeg te horen dat Paul Hollingdale het programma zou gaan presenten.

CN: Dus je werd weer gerespecteerd?.

PH: Ik werd weer gerespecteerd door dat ene programma.

CN: Doug Stanley, hoe gaat het op dit moment met hem?

PH: Doug Stanley, zoals ik al vertelde, ging later voor Mitchell Monkhouse werken en dat doet hij nog steeds.

CN: Welke groep viel er onder hun management? Je had het over een trio maar hebt de naam niet genoemd.

PH: De maatschappij werd opgericht door een muzikant, Malcolm Mitchell, die redelijk bekend was, samen met Bob Monkhouse. Malcolm had zijn eigen trio. Zij deden al die gesponsorde shows op Radio Luxembourg. Doug Stanley, de derde persoon, woont tegenwoordig in Melbourne Australie. Hij is een succesvolle producer van documentaires. Ik ontmoette hem in september, voor het eerst na vele jaren, tijdens een conventie waar alle fabrikanten van video apparatuur bijeen waren. Dat was prachtig want we hadden elkaar jaren niet meer gezien. We hebben wat te drinken gepakt en zijn lekker oude herinneringen op gaan halen.

CN: Leuke verhalen?

PH: Ik zal je een leuk verhaal vertellen. We werkten bij CNBC en de Borkum Riff dobberde op de Noordzee. Het schip had het behoorlijk te verduren tijdens stormen omdat het bijzonder onstabiel was. Luuk Nijhof had daar wel zo zijn visie op maar hem iets vragen was zinloos. Maar we kregen een tip over een technicus van de BBC. Die zou de zender wel goed kunnen afstellen. De man heette Thomas en kwam oorspronkelijk uit Wales.

CN: Wat was zijn voornaam?

PH: Die kan ik mij niet meer herinneren. Hij was hoofd van de Tatsfield Luisterpost. Ik weet niet of je weet wat dat is? Het is een luisterpost waar buitenlandse stations worden opgepikt. Er zijn verschillende van die posten. Ze luisteren naar de berichtgeving en maken zo hun eigen nieuws. We hadden gehoord dat die man met pensioen zou gaan dus hebben we hem gevraagd de zender na te kijken. Uiteraard smeerden we wat stroop door te zeggen dat hij ‘de’ man was die dat zou kunnen. Het is natuurlijk wel bijzonder om een BBC technicus te vragen om de zender op een piratenschip af te stellen. Maar hij wilde het wel doen dus gingen wij geld regelen voor een ticket. Hij is naar Nederland gevlogen en daar had hij dus behoorlijk pech want de tender was net buitengaats toe er een vreselijke storm opstak. Echt vreselijk. Toen hij terug was in Engeland zei hij: ‘Never again will I go on board a bloody ship’. Ik zal hem nooit vergeten want dit was nu juist de echte piraterij. Als de BBC het had geweten had die man nog behoorlijk in de problemen kunnen raken.

CN: Heb jij nog verhalen gehoord over de periode van de piratenschepen tijdens de periode van Caroline en London? Hadden jullie trouwens contact met hun?

PH: Ik heb nooit iets met Caroline van doen gehad. Wel heb ik gesolliciteerd bij Radio England, een ander station uit die periode.

CN: Ja, ik was er in het begin bij betrokken.

PH: …en heb wat dingetjes voor ze gedaan. Dat was in de periode 1965/1966. Ik was op dat moment legaal bezig want ik was bij de BBC aan de slag. Maar ik herhaal dat ik waarschijnlijk niet zo ver was gekomen als er geen piratenschepen zouden zijn geweest. De BBC was een afgesloren wereldje van de maatschappij du als je geen mensen kende was je kansloos. Ik vind het nog steeds jammer dat het met CNBC mislukte in 1961 want als je naar de tijd kijkt die verstreek eer Radio Caroline begon, in 1965. Alle anderen kwamen nog later.

CN: 1964.

PH: '64? Kan zijn, ik dacht 1965. Hoe dan ook, het was twee of drie jaar later. Als je naar de politieke situatie van die periode kijkt dan zie je dat de conservatieven aan de macht waren in de eerste jaren van de 60’s. Het was het juiste moment. Als zij de mogelijkheden van commerciële radio hadden gekend dan waren zij er zeker zelf ook ingesprongen. ILR (Indpendent Local Radio) zoals we dat nu kennen, zou dan in de 60’s zijn ontstaan en niet in de 70’s. Het zou de hele ontwikkeling 10 jaar vooruit schuiven omdat Wilson (minister president Harold Wilson) genoodzaakt was de zeezenders te laten stoppen en een heleboel mensen aan het werk zou moeten helpen om de continuďteit te waarborgen. Het Britse luisterpubliek zou het verschil niet merken tussen wat er op zee en aan land gebeurde. In de jaren na de sluiting vonden veel voormalige medewerkers emplooi bij de BBC op Radio One. Maar nogmaals, ik vind het nog steeds jammer dat wij het in 1962 niet voor elkaar kregen. En dan nog iets interessants. Als we het nog een jaar hadden volgehouden dan hadden we midden in de Beatle-mania, de Liverpool sound gezeten wat commercieel gezien natuurlijk enorm aantrekkelijk was geweest. Moet je nagaan, dat gebeurde net nadat bij ons de stekker er was uitgetrokken.

CN: Jullie hadden het dus gewoon wat langer moeten volhouden?

PH: Als we iets langer hadden volgehouden waren we geslaagd.

Copyright Colin Nichol 1984/2007
Nederlandse vertaling Jos Leijgraaff